Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Experiment

I would like to share a story about what happened to me the other night.  I was over at a friends apartment with a group of around twelve and we were all just sitting around having a casual drink.  Well we decided to play a game the name and rules of which are irrelevant.  The only part important about this game was that I ended up having a partner, which we called our date, and whatever happened to that date happened to me.  If you know the name of this game congratulations.  So I had to now make sure that two people in this game didn't suck so that we would win because me begin Mr. Competitive does not lose.  Ever.  So we are playing and having a good time and then all of the sudden my date decides to have another date, making us a freakin triple date.  Well, I decide to start kidding around with her about making us a tripod and she just did not think that I was funny.  Her and her friends just started looking at me like I was a jerk.

Real quick lets rewind for a second and tell you a little nugget about me, I love sarcasm.  Some say that if sarcasm was a love language it would be mine.  Well people who do not understand sarcasm and that I am the most sarcastic person I know besides Dave Awalt (name drop, you're welcome) see me as a jerk.

Therefore, she and her friends saw me as a jerk even though it was hilarious to everyone else around them.  Well, in this awkward moment of them staring at me like I was the Devil in carnet I began to think about why I was not funny to them.  This thought process led me to this experiment:

Over the last year or so I have began to notice a trend, people being called funny who are in no way funny.  I will give you an example - Matthew McConaughey.  That should require no explanation but for those of us that are a tad on the slow side let me explain.  If the shirtless wonder himself were to walk into any college classroom or business in Ruston and say anything remotely close to a joke people would immediately laugh because it was Mr. Shirtless saying it.  He truly wouldn't have to do anything but speak and people would probably laugh.  Why, because its him saying it?  Yes, that is the answer to the question.  Simply because a half-naked, ignorant actor said something automatically makes it funny.

That just pisses me off.

So I began to wonder, what makes someone funny?  Is it their physical looks or appearance like Mr. Shirtless mentioned earlier, or is it the way they deliver their jokes like a Jim Carrey, or could it be a sexual attraction between two people like we have all gone through.  Maybe its a girl that you thought was smokin hot or a guy that looked super cute, but we all thought to ourselves, "Okay I'm just going to laugh at her (ladies insert his) jokes so that maybe she'll stick around a little bit longer and I can get some make-out action tonight."  We are all looking out for the old number one (ourselves) whenever we do this.  However, we end up doing harm to the other girl or guy by giving them a false sense of being funny all because we wanted a little tongue.  This leads me to a similar thought from before.

That just pisses me off.

So, I am going to begin an experiment that tests these certain things about being funny.  As I proceed through this experiment I will update everyone with the hard facts of what it takes to truly be a man or woman of funnyness.

I just made up a word for this experiment.  Funnyness.

Overall, I hope this experiment leads me into new light about life, love, and happiness, but I'm sure it will just end up with me pissing people off as I point out why they are laughing at certain jokes.  Which I am fine with.  Either way I will be blogging about something.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment