Saturday, February 19, 2011

Positive or Negative

Throughout life people always consider themselves to be one of two things:  a positive person or a negative person.  AKA: optimist or pessimist.  Well I am here today to discuss what I am, the third choice...a realist.

People often mistake me as a negative person when I tell them candidly that they will most likely not complete a certain assignment or be able to perform a certain task.  Let me give you an example...

Me and three of my friends are at a football field and we are kicking field goals for kick and giggles (thats a pun) and one of my friends decides to try and kick a 30 yard field goal.  Well this friend is not the most athletic person and spends a lot of time playing Call of Duty and such so I say to him, "Chances are you are going to miss this. You are probably going to be short 5 or 10 yards."  Well my three friends immediately start harping on me about how I am always so negative and should be more positive and supportive.  So to appease them I say, "Ok.  Don't suck."  Because if they don't suck and miss the field goal then everyone will be happy.

I might as well interject for a moment that I could have said that a little differently and I admit that.  I could have said, "Do well." But let's be honest, if they are doing well then they aren't sucking and if they aren't sucking then they are doing well so they are both equally good statements.  Apples and oranges you know.  

Well, once the harping was over my friend eventually kicked the football and missed.  Coincidentally he was short 5 or 10 yards...who would have thunk it?  So, let me ask you, was I negative or just real?  I believed he could do it because I never said he couldn't, but I knew that statistically speaking he was going to suck really bad and miss it.  I have a belief, it just based on realistic life.

Or we could look at that my first original comment should have beefed him up to make him kick the ball harder to prove me wrong.  I was playing the "I'm going to say something to make you really mad to make you play better" card that some coaches do.  Call me Bob Knight from now on.  Except with no thrown furniture.  Life can be seen through many different eyes but I just choose the most logical.  

This makes me think of a serious thought.

Faith

Someone could read this and say, "Hey how do you believe in Jesus if you only look at things realistically, because realism leads to science and science can't work with Jesus?"

First off I would like to say that this is possibly one of the dumbest questions ever asked because science alone points to Christ 100% of the time.  Secondly, to look at the questions through my eyes of realism we must ask ourselves what the statistics of God are.  Well, He is right...always.  He is wrong...never.  Statistics show God as the logical choice not the other way around.  The faith aspect comes not in mere belief but in the control.  I know God is real, but to let Him control my entire being a life, my circumstance, my finances, my relationships...that is faith.

(Thought of people reading this..."Wow this blog really got serious quick. He was all humorous in his other blogs but now he is all mister serious guy...")
Well have no fear because I am stepping of the box that holds soap now.

In the end people are either Positive or Negative...well, I am neither. 


No comments:

Post a Comment